Initially created for a five-year period ending on 31 December2016, the JCI group was renewed by an amendment made to its founding agreement, approved by joint order of the Minister for Justice and the Minister of Economy and Finance on 28 December 2016, for an additional 5 year period.
This amendment essentially renewed the pre-existing provisions, but it made some modifications as well, the most significant being the creation of a support council for the group.
See the consolidated text of the founding agreement for JCI.
Composition of JCI
The General Assembly and the Board of Directors for JCI have the same composition, established by decree on 22 March 2014. Each of these bodies bring together members from all JCI’s financial contributors.
The Chairman of the Board, M. Jean-Claude MARIN, Public prosecutor at the Court of Cassation, was appointed by decree on 19 mach 2018.
NB: in the graph below, please read :
Mr Jean-Claude MARIN, Chairman of the Board of Directors
Ms Véronique MALBEC, Secretary General of the Ministry of Justice,
Mr Christophe MILLESCAMPS, Director of the National School of Penitentiary Administration,
Mr Jean-François HUMBERT, President of the Superior Council of Notary,
Mme Christiane FÉRAL-SCHUHL, President of the National Bar Council.
Members of the Board of Directors serving in an advisory capacity:
- the Executive Director of JCI, Ms Nicole COCHET;
- from the Council of State, Mr Yves GOUNIN, delegate for international relations in the report and studies division;
- member of the general economic and financial control staff, Ms Catherine CHAMPON-KUCKLICK.
- Mr David CAPITANT, professor of public law at Pantheon-Sorbonne University/Paris 1;
- Mr Jean-Paul JEAN, initially director of the documentation, studies and reports division, as well as director of the Court’s International Relations Department, and currently Honorary Chamber President and President of the AHJUCAF, in addition to his distinguished duties on the European Commission for the Efficiency of Justice (CEPEJ) of the Council of Europe;
- Guillaume MOUNIER, Head of Rights, Justice and Citizenship division in the democratic governance Mission in the Ministry of Europe and Foreign affairs.
The Supervision of JCI is currently conducted by Ms Nicole COCHET, Inspector-General for the Ministry for Justice, assigned to its service for a three-year term beginning 1st July 2016.
JCI Operations Team
This team is the linchpin at the core of JCI’s activities. It consists on the one hand of an operational and logistical division, and on the other of an administrative and financial division; it is its responsibility to design project proposals and offers, and then to ensure their operational oversight (known as “backstopping”). The team works in symbiosis with all the experts enlisted for the projects.
View the organisation chart for the JCI Operations Team.
JCI’s team now also has the aid of a Support Council to assist in putting together offers and implementing projects, and to help provide JCI with better visibility.
JCI is governed by a Board of Directors, chaired by a high-ranking judge appointed for three years. Serving together with the Chairperson are the six founding members as well as a group of experts serving in an advisory capacity: the Executive Director of JCI, the Government Commissioner – a member of the Secretariat-General for the Ministry for Justice – a member of the Council of State, the Ministerial Budget and Accounting Comptroller (CBCM) reporting to the Ministry for Justice, and the interministerial delegate for international technical cooperation (DICTI).
The Board of Directors also includes external experts who enrich its deliberations with their own specific body of experience: a representative for the academic world, a representative for the Court of Cassation, and a representative for the Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs.
The Supervision of JCI is conducted by a judge assigned to the service of the group for a three-year period.
Then there is the Support Council, the final element, intended to help ensure better governance.