Kick off of a new twinning to support the Moroccan penitenciary system
The kick off meeting of the Morocco-EU twinning aiming at “strengthening the capacities of the General Delegation for Prison Administration and Reintegration (DGAPR)” took place on 8 November 2018 in Rabat, at the DGAPR headquarters. The Ambassadors of France (represented by the First Counsellor), Italy and Belgium, the Ministries of Justice of the 3 countries, and the Chairman of the JCI Board of Directors, Mr. Jean-Claude MARIN attended the event. Mr. Salah TAMEK, General Delegate for Prison Administration and Reintegration, and Mrs Claudia WIEDEY, Ambassador, Head of the European Union Delegation, chaired the ceremony.
Press articles and videos of this ceremony are available at the bottom of the page.
The 30-month twinning project is funded by the EU (1.500.000€). It is part of a global programme to support prison reform. JCI is the leader of a partnership build up with the Belgian Federal Public Service (SPF) Justice and the Italian Ministry of Justice (represented by Studiare Sviluppo).
This project has begun in June 2018. It consists in 5 components:
1) Support for the process of convergence towards European best practices in training in the field of prison governance;
2) Institutional strengthening of the DGAPR through the organization of a national consensus conference;
3) Management training for senior executives of the DGAPR;
4) Design of business and skills referentials;
5) Strengthening the skills of prison staff (training of management teams, heads of detention, medical teams, psychologists, instructors in protection and intervention techniques, experts in prison training engineering and educational engineering).
In terms of activity, the twinning plans to organize study visits to France, Belgium and Italy on the one hand; and on the other hands, it will send to Morocco around 50 experts from different bodies and organizations coming from France, Belgium and Italy, including the heads of the prison administration, the regional heads (decentralized services), the penitentiary training schools and penitentiary institutions.
This kick off meeting gave an opportunity to present the stakeholders involved in the project, including the European project managers: Mr Georges VIN (France), Mrs Séverine DELCOMMINETTE (Belgium) and Mrs Marta COSTANTINO (Italy) as well as the Resident Twinning Advisor: Mr François GOETZ, seconded to Rabat during the whole project. (see pictures below – from top to bottom).
- Agence Marocaine de Presse (MAP) – Interview of JCI President (1min48): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtKcdCMhyC0
- DGAPR : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecD9bgVYiUg
- DGAPR : speeaches (DGAPR & French, Italian and Belgium Embassies) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwrryUxMm7A
- Interview of François GOETZ (2min18) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=F_knPLYrk2U